How to Make a Claim

Group Income Protection - How to Make a Claim

Group Income Protection

Group Income Protection provides a proportion of salary for an employee who is off work due to illness or injury.

An income protection benefit is paid when an employee meets the policy definition of incapacity for more than a set period of time, known as 'the deferred period'. However, employers can use our Early Intervention Service to mitigate absences from day one (for complex absences such as stress or back pain) without making a claim.

No payment will be made if our required claim documentation is received later than six months after the end of the deferred period as defined by the policy.

Required information:

  1. Claim Form - Click to download
  2. Medical Evidence - we encourage the employee to send us any supporting medical evidence. This helps us reach a decision and also speeds up the claims process.

This could include:

  • Hospital discharge letters
  • Letters from treating doctors or specialists
  • Test results
  • Correspondence from their GP

How and when should a claim be submitted?

Canada Life makes a distinction between ‘complex’ and ‘clinical’ absence to help employers identify absences that should be referred to our Early Intervention Service. Complex absences should always be referred. 

A - Complex absence

Examples of complex absences include:

  • Stress, anxiety and/or depression
  • Heart disease or heart attack
  • Back pain
  • Knee, leg, shoulder or arm pain
  • Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
  • ‘Unknown’ or ‘Undiagnosed’ 
  1. If our Early Intervention Service has been used, an EIS Nurse will provide guidance on how to submit a claim.
  2. If our Early Intervention Service has not been used, please submit the claim with supporting medical evidence as soon as possible, but we request that this is no later than eight weeks after the first date of absence.

B - Clinical absence

Examples of clinical absences include:

  • Cancer
  • Stroke
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Dementia
  • Road traffic accidents

We request that a claim form is submitted with supporting medical evidence four weeks before the end of the policy’s deferred period.

How to Make a Claim

Where should claim documents be sent?



IP Claims Management Services
Canada Life Ltd
3 Rivergate
Temple Quay

Any questions?

Find everything you need in our How It Works section, or contact our Claims Management Services:

T: 0117 916 4470
F: 0170 767 1100

This website is for UK professional advisers only and is not approved for use by private customers.

Canada Life Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

Canada Life International Limited and CLI Institutional Limited are Isle of Man registered companies authorised and regulated by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority.

Canada Life International Assurance (Ireland) DAC is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.