- Onshore bond and personal pension close to new business
- Sales pipelines will be managed through to completion, with no changes to the available product features or benefits
- Offshore bonds will remain the focus for the wealth division moving forward, confirms Canada Life
Canada Life has today (23rd January 2024) closed its onshore bond (Select Account), and personal pension plan (The Retirement Account) to new business, with immediate effect.
Canada Life has said it has identified significant growth opportunities in the UK offshore bond market, and will target resource in this area moving forward. The company has also confirmed it remains committed to the UK market where it can operate at scale and be competitive, including in the areas of individual annuities, equity release, group protection, bulk purchase annuities and asset management, alongside the UK offshore bond space .
Sean Christian, MD and Executive Director for Wealth at Canada Life UK explains:
“We’ve always said we will compete where we can reach scale and be competitive, and it has become clear we need to take the decision to close these products, which represent less than 1% of our customer base. While we recognise this will leave some advisers disappointed, it does mean we can focus on areas of profitable growth, where we can leverage our resource to deliver a better experience for advisers and their clients, including our market-leading UK offshore bond range, via our businesses in the Isle of Man and Ireland.
Notes to editors:
- The offshore bond will continue to be actively marketed and sold, from both the Isle of Man and Dublin, with no changes to the product or overall proposition.
- Further details on the product closures can be found here.
- We intend to close to new business while we enter a period of consultation with impacted employees.
- There is no change for existing customers who invest in either the onshore bond or The Retirement Account, with all product features currently available continuing.
- Any pipeline business which advisers chose to complete will be honoured for both onshore bonds and The Retirement Account, within any quote guarantee periods.
- The onshore bond has around 17,000 customers, while The Retirement Account has attracted around 5,000 customers since launch in 2015. Half of the customers using The Retirement Account are using it as a flexible annuity only. In total, these customers represent less than 1% of Canada Life UK’s overall customer base.